Saturday, March 31, 2012

Hate the war, love the warrior


I saw Rosie O'Donnell on Windy City Live yesterday morning.  She is gay and has 4 adopted children.  One has chosen to go into the military.  She is well-known to be anti-war, so the host asked her if she had a problem with her son choosing the military.

She said that she is not "anti-war" but "anti-unnecessary war" and that while she is opposed to killing, she supports the troops that serve in the military.

It struck me as the same reasonable logic we use about sinners in general and homosexuals in particular.  Hate the sin, but love the sinner.  She uses the same argument for her son and the military but, I suspect, would take offense if it were applied to her as a homosexual.

I thought, "what a bunch of mental gymnastics she has to go through to hate war but love warriors."


4 comments:

  1. In the Catholic view same-sex attraction is not a sin, but sex outside the proper context of marriage is. I THINK other Christian denominations may teach that even the attraction is sinful and Catholicism is lumped into this category by those who do not know better. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same sex attraction is not a sin and as far as I remember there isn't a single bible quote that addresses same sex attraction sinful. To say same sex attraction is sinful would be like saying normal attraction is sinful (specially if you consider attraction to be equal to fornication, which anyone would say it unreasonable), specially since you can be attracted to your own sex unwittingly. Also I'm pretty sure concuspiscence is not a sin.

      Delete
  2. Not quite. While a homosexual attraction is not a sin, it is an attraction towards a sinful end, i.e. a wrongheaded attraction, while a heterosexual attraction (as such) is not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My previous comment was a reply to Ben's.

    As for Rosie: I agree with the point the blog raises here.

    However, it is rather dubious what Rosie means when she says she "supports the troops" - she supports them except when they do what they do? Then she calls them terrorists? And since words are the only support she can give or withhold, it is her words that count. I am afraid that "support the troops" is simply bowing to societal pressures without actually meaning anything.

    ReplyDelete