Wednesday, April 11, 2012

4-Year-Old Translation Dictionary

This post has nothing to do with faith or reason, but I thought I’d post it for fun anyway. Besides, you might like it. My youngest daughter turns five soon, so I took time to reflect on the creative vocabulary of a four year old in the form of a mini-translation dictionary. Here’s what I came up with:
§  alleluia: Mass
§  alligator: elevator
§  always: too often for her (some grown-ups use this term)
§  baby grown-ups: munchkins from Wizard of Oz
§  band-aid car: ambulance
§  burgers: boogars
§  capiano: piano
§  chest: chess
§  cookie man: Poke′mon
§  friends: school
§  girl cheese: grilled cheese
§  grude:  grew
§  hair nuts: hair knots
§  happy fools day: April fools day
§  hot dog: any sausage like meat
§  peer butter: peanut butter
§  man on the potty: handicap parking sign
§  measure my feet: weigh me on the bathroom scale
§  miss nastics: gymnastics
§  no fair: not my way (some grown-ups use this term too)
§  one more: infinitely more
§  snacker:  food pantry
§  tomorrow: any point in future time
§  whatever: okay
§  yesterday: any point in past time

My favorite…
§  holy bird: Holy Spirit
  
“Let the children come to me and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these” Luke 18:16

No comments:

Post a Comment